Sunday, October 06, 2002

On the 3rd and 4th of october I joined a lecture-seminar by Marie-Laure Ryan at the IT-University of Copenhagen. The theory of digital aesthetics which Marie-Laure presented was brilliant, but I have to admit that her hypermedia example Symbol Rock was all I disliked about hypertext narratives. The application had a very interesting story, you were supposed to investigate. However, the media came in between and simply took over, forcing the user/reader to be lost in hyperspace. It was indeed a problematic combination. Fortunately, she was our guide through her application. I would have preferred to learn about this story in an ordinary media using an ordinary genre like e.g. a television documentary.

Anyway, the seminar was a pleasant chance to meet fellow researchers in the field. Just to meet and discuss is the most fruitful I know of. I feel privileged to come and join such a seminar; being together with intelligent people who all want to study further into the computer media. I felt even more privileged, when I got the chance to talk about computer game criticism and my latest passion subcreation of virtual worlds inspired by J. R. R. Tolkien and C. S. Lewis. Still, Marie-Laure Ryan and Lisbeth Klastrup have much to say about this issue too. I simply must write some articles on this matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home