Saturday, August 18, 2001

I've just been to Bergens largest of the seven mountains surrounding the city: Ulriken. It was a really wonderful trip in the cable car to the marvelous top. The day before this, I went to see Tim Burtons movie Planet of the Apes, which unfortunately is not one of his masterpieces. But my Bergen colleagues were there, so we had a nice time anyway. Later Frank Pierce and I joined Espen Aarseth at his home drinking beer and listening to songs by Weird Al Yankovic. When discussing computer game aesthetics, Espen Aarseth pointed out that aesthetics need not be what we indeed are looking for. Thinking of Kant I suggested computer games may in fact be closer related to the sublime than aesthetics. Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's notion of flow seems to point in that direction too. So there is a thought. Hmm... not sure though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home