Saturday, August 06, 2011

More Criticism of Philosophical Game Design

Mike Gamm writes in Gaming Journal #2:

"Earlier in the term we read the essay, "Philisophical Game Design" by Lars Konzack, in which he says that a game must have at least one dualist philisophical aspect in order to be successful in our society, because this is what gamers want."

My response: I have never made the claim that a game must have at least one dual aspect in order to be succesful in society.

Gamm states further:

"I will use Halo to contradict Konzack's argument: (Key Idea*) that the interaction between philisophical storyline and the choices that a player needs to make are what makes a great game."

That might very well be true, however, since I didn't make the claim in the first place the criticism seems inappropriate. Gamm is arguing against his own straw-man.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Jeffrey Lupoy said...

After looking into a number of the articles on your site, I honestly appreciate your technique of writing a blog. I book marked it to my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back soon. Please visit my web site too and tell me how you feel.

Tuesday, June 19, 2012  

Post a Comment

<< Home